Sunday 17 March 2013

Heston Blumenthal Chef




Dear Mr Blumenthal,

I am a massive fan of your work and have been for many years, you've really revolutionised the way in which we see food and are an inspiration to aspiring chefs. You have certainly opened my eyes to all the wonderful things you can do with food. I used to wolf my dinner down as soon as it was ready to eat and that would be that, now I look and admire it for five minutes, play around with it and think of elaborate names to call it. Then I realise it has actually gone cold and I have to make it again, but that’s not the point it’s the experimentation which makes it so much more interesting.

Now I work in a kitchen at an old people’s home so it’s difficult to be outrageous with food ideas as the residents are very set in their ways, they like what they like and boy do they let you know about it. At home though I can experiment as much as I like and having been concocting some crazy dishes of my own some of which Heston (Is it OK to call you Heston?) you may be interested in using. The first one I came up with just the other week, I was hungry so I decided to make myself a cheese and ham sandwich, I saw that we had both wholemeal bread and white bread available so in the heat of the moment thought why not use a slice of each, I then buttered both slices and added the cheese and ham, if you thought that was crazy enough I then noticed we had some coleslaw in the fridge and added it to the sandwich. My friends and family thought I was nuts but when they tried it they loved it. I then set about naming this unusual lunchtime snack and came up with the ‘Cheese, Ham and Coleslaw on Wholemeal and White Bread Spectacular’.
The second one I've called the Pork Sword, I mean it’s just a title at the moment but I’m thinking pork in the shape of swords.

Now Heston, I'm quite willing to let you have these as your own without charge, but some recognition of my work would be much appreciated. I look forward to hearing your reply and any questions on the recipes I will be happy to answer.

Yours experimentally,

Oliver Trout
(Kitchen Assistant)  

No comments:

Post a Comment