Tuesday 16 April 2013

Sir Ranulph Fiennes British Adventurer and Writer




Dear Mr Fiennes,

You are a remarkable man and have done some pretty amazing things in your life. To be still going strong at your age is nothing short of a miracle. You've tested yourself to the limit as a human being and done so much for charity that you should be commended for all your achievements. Actually I'm pretty sure you have been commended for your achievements so forget that bit.

Although I have never been to the North and South Pole, climbed Everest or crossed the Antarctic, I have experienced some things in my life where I've thought, this must be what Sir Ranulph feels like when he does these heroic things (I can call you Sir Ranulph right?) The first incident was some years ago when I’d been out with the lads on a Friday night to Epsom. It was about 3 in the morning and the club we were in was shutting, it was just me and my friend Malik left and between us we had not a penny to get a cab home, nor did we have any money on our phones to call anyone. So we had no choice but to begin the long walk home unaided to Chessington. I'm not sure if you've ever done the Epsom to Chessington walk Sir Ranulph but I can tell you now it is one of immense pain, just a long straight road lasting a good hour and a half. With our legs going and no water it is a miracle we ever made it back that night.

Another incident also going back a few years now, I was working at Chessington World of Adventures in the car parks, I went to pick up a folding metal sign and I got my fingertip trapped at the top, eventually I broke free, but with my nail turning purple I had no choice but to go to the hospital. I then sat waiting to be seen for hours on end as my finger throbbed in pain, honestly you've
 never felt pain like it Sir Ranulph. As time wore on I felt that there could be a distinct possibility that I may have to have my finger amputated. Turns out they just pierced the nail to release the blood and I was aloud to go home, but it was touch and go for a moment.

Sorry to go on but I have got one more and this was quite recently. I work in a care home in Godalming as a Kitchen Assistant or Chef as I like to tell people and the other week I got shut in the freezer. My whole life flashed before me as I shouted and banged on the door for help. Believe me Sir Ranulph you don’t even know how cold and dark it was. As no one came to help I wondered to myself how long it would be before I wilted away. Then after about 5 minutes of being in there I suddenly realised you could open it from the inside and I lived to fight another day. But it was touch and go for a moment.

Anyway I’ll let you get on, but it just goes to show we’re not all that different me and you.

Toodle pip

Oliver Trout
(Chef) 


No comments:

Post a Comment